Friday, July 31, 2009

A Gadget to Embed a Configurable Google Wave

In a previous post "How to add a gadget to your blogspot blog", I used the Google Wave Embed API to embed a wave into my blog by editing the template. This is not very difficult at all, but then Ratscillion asked me about possibly creating a gadget to make it easier to setup and embed a Wave into the blog by using Layouts and editing the page elements.

I am very familiar with gadget development, so I thought the project would take me about 15 minutes. However, because of one very simple error that I just couldn't catch, it took me about 4 hours to finally get it working. Anyway, now any container that can host a google gadget (e.g. orkut, myspace, blogger, ning, etc.,) can easily embed a configurable gadget that will automatically embed the wave. If you'd like to see the wave embedded on this blog, just scroll to the bottom. Of course, keep in mind that if you don't yet have access to the sandbox, not only are you unable to see the functionality, but you're also missing out on a world of fun!

Anyone interested in embedding the gadget can just use this gadget spec

If you do use this gadget, let me know either in wave, or by commenting here so that I can stop by your blog or page and see it in action :) Also, please let me know if you have any suggestions for enhancements or find any errors :)

No comments:

Post a Comment